Skip to main content
Welcome to the Office of the Professions’ newly redesigned website. Portions of this site may still be under development, so if you experience any issues or have any questions please submit a Website Feedback Form.
  • NYSED Homepage
  • Disclaimer
  • Contact Us
  • NYSED Employment
  • Board Members Only

Any use of the title "Veterinarian" or practice of veterinary medicine in New York State requires licensure. However, under specified limitations defined in Section 6705 of the New York State Education Law you may be exempt from licensure.

To be licensed as a veterinarian in New York State you must:

  • be of good moral character;
  • be at least 21 years of age; and
  • meet education, examination, and experience requirements.

Submit an application for licensure and the other forms indicated, along with the appropriate fee, to the Office of the Professions at the address specified on each form. It is your responsibility to follow up with anyone you have asked to send us material.

The specific requirements for licensure are contained in Article 135, section 6704 of New York's Education Law and Part 62 of the Commissioner's Regulations.

You should also read the general licensing information applicable for all professions.

The fee for licensure is $372.

The fee for a limited permit is $105 (the limited permit fee is not refundable).

Fees are subject to change. The fee due is the one in law when your application is received (unless fees are increased retroactively). You will be billed for the difference if fees have been increased.

  • Do not send cash.
  • If you apply for licensure electronically using the online Application for Licensure, you will be required to pay by credit card.
  • Other payments must be made by personal check or money order payable to the New York State Education Department. Your cancelled check is your receipt.
  • Mail any required forms and fees to the indicated address on the form.

NOTE: Payment submitted from outside the United States should be made by check or draft on a United States bank and in United States currency; payments submitted in any other form will not be accepted and will be returned.

Individuals who withdraw their licensure application may be entitled to a partial refund.

  • For the procedure to withdraw your application, contact the Veterinary Medicine Unit at or by calling 518-474-3817 ext. 250 or by fax at 518-402-5354.
  • The State Education Department is not responsible for any fees paid to an outside testing or credentials verification agency.

If you withdraw your application, obtain a refund, and then decide to seek New York State licensure at a later date, you will be considered a new applicant, and you will be required to pay the licensure and registration fees and meet the licensure requirements in place at the time you reapply.

To satisfy the education requirements for licensure as a veterinarian, you must present evidence of both A and B below.

  1. Pre-professional Education

    Satisfactory completion of at least 60 semester hours of college study from a NYS registered program or the equivalent as determined by the New York State Education Department. The pre-professional education must include courses in general chemistry, organic chemistry and biology or zoology. Form 2PPE - Certification of Pre-Professional Education  must be submitted directly by the college you attended prior to your veterinary studies.

  2. Professional Education

    Satisfactory completion of a professional program in veterinary medicine accredited by the American Veterinary Medical Association (AVMA) or approved by the Department. The educational program must consist of four years of college study (or its equivalent), including an acceptable year of clinical training, and must lead to the degree of Doctor of Veterinary Medicine, or its equivalent. Form 2 - Certification of Professional Education must be submitted directly by the professional school you attended.

    Graduates of unaccredited veterinary medicine programs must present evidence of acceptable clinical education equivalent in length and content to that found in an accredited program leading to the doctoral degree in veterinary medicine. Acceptable clinical education can be documented by such evidence as:

    • residency or internship at a school with an American Veterinary Medicine Association-accredited veterinary medicine program;
    • certification by the Educational Commission for Foreign Veterinary Graduates. (Verification of any such certification should be forwarded by the AVMA to the Department.); or
    • completion of clinical education prescribed in a formal agreement between an unaccredited veterinary school and an accredited veterinary medicine program, which assures equivalency in length and content to the clinical training received by students in the accredited program.
    Form 2CT - Certification of Clinical Training must be submitted directly by the institution where you received your clinical education.

NOTE: Work experience, in and of itself, will not be considered as meeting the clinical education requirement.

Applicants who have not taken the examination

The current examination required for licensure is the North American Veterinary Licensing Examination (NAVLE). Arrangements to sit for the NAVLE can be made by contacting the International Council for Veterinary Assessment (ICVA) at 701-224-0332, e-mail, or by visiting their Web site at . The Web site includes the Bulletin of Information for Candidates, including application forms. The fee to sit for the NAVLE must be sent directly to the NBVME.

NOTE: You do not need to be approved by New York State to take the NAVLE Examination.

Applicants who have successfully completed an examination

In addition to the NAVLE, the examination offered prior to November 2000 may be accepted. Applicants who have passed the National Board Examination (NBE) and Clinical Competency Test (CCT) by New York State standards will meet the examination requirement for licensure. Scores for both examinations may be transferred to the New York State Education Department by contacting the Veterinary Information Verifying Agency (VIVA) at

Reasonable Testing Accommodations

If you have a documented disability for which you will require reasonable testing accommodations, you should apply directly to ICVA.

We encourage you to apply early in order to avoid delays in the processing of your application for reasonable accommodations as additional documentation may be requested. You should be prepared to submit a letter from a health care provider who has diagnosed and/or treated you, indicating the nature and extent of the disability, the proposed accommodations, all medical, psychological or educational evaluations used by the professional health service providers in making reasonable testing accommodation determinations, and types of accommodations made for you in the past. Applicants with documented disabilities must check the appropriate box on the National Board of Veterinary Medical Examiners (NBVME) North American Veterinary Licensing Examination (NAVLE) application when you apply to take the examination.

An applicant licensed as a veterinarian in another state seeking licensure in New York must follow the same procedure as an unlicensed applicant and present evidence of having met all requirements for licensure. However, if you have successfully completed the NBE for licensure in another state, but have not taken or passed the CCT, and you have met all other requirements, it is possible you may be eligible for licensure in New York State by endorsement of your other license in combination with acceptable experience. You must be a duly licensed veterinarian in good standing in the state where you are currently licensed. Complete Section II of Form 4 and return it directly to the Office of the Professions at the address on the form. For additional information contact the board office at 518-474-3817 ext. 210, fax 518-474-6375, e-mail

A limited permit may be issued to an applicant who meets all other requirements for licensure except the examination. Applicants who have failed the licensing examination, and have not subsequently passed the examination, will not be issued a limited permit.

A permit holder must work under the direction of a currently registered, New York State licensed veterinarian. A limited permit is valid for a maximum of one year from the date of issuance or until ten days after the notification of failure of the licensing examination. A limited permit may be renewed once at the discretion of the Education Department.

Last Updated: January 30, 2020