Skip to main content
Welcome to the Office of the Professions’ newly redesigned website. Portions of this site may still be under development, so if you experience any issues or have any questions please submit a Website Feedback Form.
  • NYSED Homepage
  • Disclaimer
  • Contact Us
  • NYSED Employment
  • Board Members Only

Any use of the title "Registered Dental Assistant" within New York State requires licensure.

To be licensed as a registered dental assistant in New York State you must:

  • be at least 18 years of age;
  • meet education requirements; and
  • meet examination requirements.

You must file an application for licensure and the other forms indicated, along with the appropriate fee, to the Office of the Professions at the address specified on each form. It is your responsibility to follow up with anyone you have asked to send us material.

The specific requirements for licensure are contained in Title 8, Article 133, Section 6608 of the New York's Education Law and Part 61 of the Commissioner's Regulations.

You should also read the general licensing information applicable for all professions.

The fee for licensure and first registration is $103.

The fee for a limited permit is $40 (the limited permit fee is not refundable).

Fees are subject to change. The fee due is the one in law when your application is received (unless fees are increased retroactively). You will be billed for the difference if fees have been increased.

  • Do not send cash.
  • If you apply for licensure electronically using the online Application for Licensure, you will be required to pay by credit card.
  • Other payments must be made by personal check or money order payable to the New York State Education Department. Your cancelled check is your receipt.
  • Mail any required forms and fees to the indicated address on the form.

NOTE: Payment submitted from outside the United States should be made by check or draft on a United States bank and in United States currency; payments submitted in any other form will not be accepted and will be returned.

Individuals who withdraw their licensure application may be entitled to a partial refund.

  • For the procedure to withdraw your application, contact the Registered Dental Assisting Unit at or by calling 518-474-3817 ext. 270 or by fax at 518-402-5354.
  • The State Education Department is not responsible for any fees paid to an outside testing or credentials verification agency.

If you withdraw your application, obtain a refund, and then decide to seek New York State licensure at a later date, you will be considered a new applicant and you will be required to pay the licensure and registration fees and meet the licensure requirements in place at the time you reapply.

  • Earned a high school diploma or G.E.D. (You may be required to provide verification of your high school diploma or G.E.D., see the instructions for completing the Certification of Professional Education (Form 2) for more information.)
  • Completed a licensure-qualifying program in dental assisting or an equivalent program as determined by the State Education Department. A list of New York State registered, licensure-qualifying dental assisting programs is available through the Education Department's Inventory of Registered Programs.

To be considered "equivalent," your educational program must culminate in a degree or credential from an institution acceptable to the State Education Department. It must include courses as specified below.

You must complete either A or B below:

  1. A one-year program consisting of 24 semester hours or the equivalent including:
    1. the biomedical sciences content area:
      • body structure and function,
      • basic concepts of microbiology pertaining to infection control,
      • basic nutrition; and
    2. the professional dental assisting content area:
      • dental materials and instruments,
      • dental radiography techniques and safety,
      • basic dental and oral anatomy,
      • introductory content in oral histology, embryology, pathology, and therapeutics,
      • legal and ethical aspects (dental record keeping, terminology, charting, and patient confidentiality); and
    3. the clinical content area:
      • chairside dental assisting and appropriate laboratory procedures,
        1. placing and removing temporary restorations;
        2. placing, condensing, and carving amalgam restorations; and
        3. placing, condensing. and finishing non-metallic restorations.
      • patient education and preventive dentistry,
      • dental radiographic procedures,
      • infection control,
      • assisting in management of dental and medical emergencies; and
    4. course work in oral and written communications and basic behavioral concepts; and
    5. at least 200 hours of clinical experience.

  2. An alternate course of study in dental assisting acceptable to the New York State Education Department including:
    1. the biomedical sciences content area, the professional dental assisting content area, and the clinical content area; and
    2. an alternate course of study in dental assisting acceptable to the department which shall be provided by a degree-granting institution or a board of cooperative educational services program which includes at least one thousand hours of relevant work experience.

NOTE: In addition to meeting these education requirements, you must satisfy the examination requirements outlined in the next section.

Passing scores on appropriate examinations administered by the Dental Assisting National Board (DANB), Inc. are required for licensure in New York. There are three (3) pathways to qualify to take the required DANB examinations. See below to determine which examination section(s) you must complete.

Pathway I: Applicants who meet DANB's eligibility requirements

If you meet DANB's eligibility requirements, you must take and pass the current DANB CDA examination consisting of the following three components: Radiation Health and Safety (RHS), Infection Control (ICE), and General Chairside (GC).

  • If you have passed all three components of DANB's CDA examination after June 1, 1993, you have met New York State's examination requirement.
  • If you have passed DANB's CDA examination between June 1, 1985 and June 1, 1993, you must take and pass the Infection Control (ICE) component of the current DANB examination.
  • If you have passed DANB's CDA examination prior to June 1, 1985, you must take and pass the Radiation Health and Safety (RHS) and Infection Control (ICE) components of the current DANB examination.

Pathway III: Applicants who do not meet DANB's eligibility requirements

An applicant who graduates from a New York registered dental assisting program, or the equivalent, but does not meet DANB's requirement to take the DANB CDA exam (because the program was not accredited by the Commission on Dental Accreditation and the applicant has less than two years’ experience) must pass the DANB, New York State's three-part exam which consists of New York Professional Dental Assisting (NYPDA) Exam, Radiation Health and Safety (RHS) Exam and Infection Control (ICE) Exam.

NOTE: Even if you fulfill the examination requirement, you will not be licensed until the department approves your education. Both the education and examination requirements must be fulfilled.

For examination application, dates and scheduling information, visit the DANB Web site at , or contact DANB by phone at 1-800-FOR-DANB (1-800-367-3262) or fax at 312-642-1475.

Reasonable Testing Accommodations

General information about reasonable testing accommodations and details on what to provide is available on the DANB Web site at

A limited permit in registered dental assisting allows an individual who has completed a dental assisting program or an alternative course of study in dental assisting acceptable to the New York State Education Department to practice registered dental assisting only under the direct personal supervision of a New York State licensed dentist.

You may apply for a limited permit by submitting the Application for Limited Permit (Form 5) and the limited permit fee of $40 at the same time or any time after you submit your Application for Licensure (Form 1), the $103 fee for licensure and first registration, and evidence of satisfactory education using the Certification of Professional Education (Form 2). The limited permit cannot be issued until the Department has approved your education. If you did not complete a program registered by New York State as licensure-qualifying, consider waiting to apply for a limited permit until the Bureau of Comparative Education has approved your education.

The limited permit is valid for a period of one year and may be renewed once, at the discretion of the Department, for one additional year. If your employer or supervising dentist changes during the one-year period, you must reapply for a new limited permit by submitting a new Form 5. No additional fee is required. If you want to renew your limited permit for a second year, you must submit a new Form 5 with the $40 limited permit fee.

Direct personal supervision means supervision by a licensed dentist of dental procedures based on instructions given by a licensed dentist in the course of a procedure who remains in the dental office where the supportive services are being performed, personally diagnoses the condition to be treated, personally authorizes the procedures, and before dismissal of the patient, who remains the responsibility of the licensed dentist, evaluates the services performed by the limited permittee.