Please note that CE courses must meet the following NYSED criteria for acceptability:
- Be offered by one of three types of approved providers
- a NYSED approved sponsor, OR
- An entity that NYSED recognizes as able to approve courses on a course-by-course basis, OR
- A college or university with at least 1 ABET accredited program
- Be in an approved subject
- Be in an approved format
- Live or Live webinars and educational activities such as on-demand courses, teaching, gaining a patent and others that are licensed in question #16 below
For more details on these criteria, please review our Frequently Asked Questions below.
Effective January 1, 2022 licensed professional geologists renewing registration of a license on or after January 1, 2023 are required to complete continuing education requirements.
- If your registration is due for renewal before January 1, 2023, you are not required to complete continuing education.
- If your registration is due for renewal on and after January 1, 2023, professional geologists will be required to complete 36 contact hours of continuing education in each three-year registration period.
This information is designed to respond to frequently asked questions about this requirement. It is not a substitute for reading the provisions of laws, rules or regulations.