Skip to main content
Welcome to the Office of the Professions’ newly redesigned website. Portions of this site may still be under development, so if you experience any issues or have any questions please submit a Website Feedback Form.
  • NYSED Homepage
  • Disclaimer
  • Contact Us
  • NYSED Employment
  • Board Members Only

Physicians, Physician Assistants, Specialist Assistants | Attorneys | Public School Teachers | Other Occupations

Physicians, Physician Assistants, Specialist Assistants

Professional misconduct by licensed physicians, physician assistants, and specialist assistants is investigated and prosecuted by the Office of Professional Medical Conduct in the New York State Department of Health. Complaints of misconduct in these three professions should be made to the New York State Department of Health, Office of Professional Medical Conduct, 150 Broadway, Suite 355, Albany, NY 12204-2719. You may call that office at 1-800-663-6114 (Monday through Friday 9:00 and to 5:00 pm eastern) or e-mail the office at


The Appellate Divisions of the State Supreme Court regulate and discipline lawyers in New York State. Complaints against attorneys should be directed to the Appellate Division's Attorney Grievance and Disciplinary Committee in the county where the lawyer's office is located:

Counties Contact Numbers
New York and Bronx Counties: (212) 401-0800
Kings, Queens and Richmond Counties: (718) 624-7851
Dutchess, Orange, Putnam, Rockland and Westchester Counties: (914) 949-4540
Nassau and Suffolk Counties: (516) 364-7344
Albany, Broome, Chemung, Chenango, Clinton, Columbia, Cortland, Delaware, Essex, Franklin, Fulton, Greene, Hamilton, Madison, Montgomery, Otsego, Rensselaer, St. Lawrence, Saratoga, Schenectady, Schoharie, Schuyler, Sullivan, Tioga, Tompkins, Ulster, Warren and Washington Counties: (518) 474-8816
Herkimer, Jefferson, Lewis, Oneida, Onondaga and Oswego Counties: (315) 471-1835
Cayuga, Livingston, Monroe, Ontario, Seneca, Steuben, Wayne and Yates Counties: (716) 530-3180
Allegany, Cattaraugus, Chautauqua, Erie, Genessee, Niagara, Orleans and Wyoming Counties: (716) 858-1190

For more information, contact the Lawyers' Fund for Client Protection of the State of New York. You may also find information on the site maintained by the New York State Bar Association.

Public School Teachers

Complaints against public school teachers that cannot be satisfactorily resolved with the principal of the school should be made to the Superintendent or Chief Administrative Officer of the local school district. If the complaint concerns the moral character of a teacher (e.g., involving drug-related activity or sexual relations with a student), contact the Office of School Personnel Review and Accountability (OSPRA) of the Office of Teaching Initiatives, another part of the State Education Department.

Other Occupations

The New York State Department of State licenses and regulates several occupations, including barbers, cosmetologists, hairdressers, hearing aid dealers, notaries, private investigators, and real estate brokers. All inquiries and complaints concerning these occupations should be made to the Department of State at (518) 474-4750.

For occupations, trades, or professions that are not listed here, you may wish to call the New York State Operator at (518) 474-2121.