Skip to main content
Welcome to the Office of the Professions’ newly redesigned website. Portions of this site may still be under development, so if you experience any issues or have any questions please submit a Website Feedback Form.
  • NYSED Homepage
  • Disclaimer
  • Contact Us
  • NYSED Employment
  • Board Members Only

Filing a Complaint About a College of University

The Office of Professional Education Program Review will attempt to assist in the resolution of complaints about academic quality, refunds, and proper application of published institutional policies in professional programs (i.e., related to the licensed professions) at postsecondary institutions in New York State.

Please note, to complain about service or treatment by a professional licensed to practice by the State of New York, or about illegal practice of a profession by an unlicensed person please visit http:/enforcement/discipline-complaint-form for more information.

The Department will no take action until all grievance procedures at the institution have been followed and all avenues of appeal exhausted. These steps should be documented in the complaint.

Additionally, the Department will not intervene when the complaint concerns the following matters:

  • Grades or examination results, which are the prerogative of the college faculty.
  • Complaints concerning general academic programs should be directed to the Office of College and University Evaluation
  • Discrimination against enrolled students on the part of the institution or faculty; complaints should be filed with the:

       Office for Civil Rights (OCR) - Enforcement Office
       U.S. Department of Education
       32 Old Slip, 26th Floor
       New York, NY 10005-2500
       Telephone: 646-428-3900
       Fax: 646-428-3843
       TDD: 877-521-2172
       Or with:
       NYS Division of Human Rights

  • Complaints about a college in the State University system should be sent to:

       State University of New York
       Central Administration
       State University Plaza
       Albany, NY 12246

       More information about the process for State University of New York campuses can be found by       clicking here

  • Complaints about a college in the City University system should be sent to:

       City University of New York
       Office of the General Counsel
       205 East 42nd Street, 11th Floor
       New York, NY 10017

  • In addition to the financial aid office of the institution, complaints regarding financial aid should be sent to:

       Higher Education Services Corporation
       Customer Communications Center
       1 Commerce Plaza
       Albany, NY 12210
       Telephone Number: 1-888-NYS-HESC

  • Complaint involving implementation of the Americans with Disabilities Act should be sent to:

       Advocate's Office for Persons with Disabilities
       Empire State Plaza
       Agency Building 1, Suite 1001
       Albany, NY 12223

       Counsel, Advocate for the Disabled
       Governor's Office
       The Capitol
       Albany, NY 12224

       Vocational and Educational Services for Individuals with Disabilities (VESID)
       One Commerce Plaza
       Albany, NY 12210