Optometrists in New York State with the phase one therapeutic pharmaceutical agents (TPA1) privilege ("U") and/or the phase two therapeutic pharmaceutical agents (TPA2) privilege ("V") are required to complete 36 contact hours of continuing education in each three-year registration period.
Specific requirements for continuing education for optometrists are contained in Article 143 of New York's Education Law.
4. If I have the Diagnostic Pharmaceutical Agent privilege, am I required to take continuing education courses?
5. I recently graduated and received my license and am in my first registration period. Do I need to begin taking continuing education immediately?
6. I just received my registration and it is less than three years in length. Am I still expected to complete the total number of continuing education hours required for my profession?
7. I just received my certification to prescribe therapeutic pharmaceutical agents, but my registration expires soon. Do I still need to complete 36 hours of continuing education?
8. I am licensed in New York State and I do not have either TPA certification, but my registration is inactive. Do I need to complete continuing education before I can reactivate my registration?
9. I am licensed in New York State with "U & V" Privileges but my registration is inactive because I am practicing my profession in another jurisdiction. Do I need to complete continuing education before I can reactivate my New York State registration?
12. If I complete more hours than required during the registration period, can I use them toward the hours required in my next registration period?
16. I wanted to take a course relating to LASIK surgery, but it does not appear to be in the category of pharmacology or ocular disease. Would this course count toward my CE requirement?
21. Do I have to send these continuing education records to the State Education Department's State Board for Optometry when I renew my registration?
Lasted Updated: May 22, 2017