Skip to main content
Welcome to the Office of the Professions’ newly redesigned website. Portions of this site may still be under development, so if you experience any issues or have any questions please submit a Website Feedback Form.
  • NYSED Homepage
  • Disclaimer
  • Contact Us
  • NYSED Employment
  • Board Members Only

In accordance with Section 59.3 of the Commissioner's Regulations, an applicant for licensure whose application is based upon credit granted for the completion of courses of study in a country where English is not the principal language spoken shall demonstrate proficiency in English by passing an examination in English acceptable to the Department or by passing a licensing examination acceptable to the Department given in English. This requirement may be met by any of the following:

  • providing passing scores from a standardized test of English, such as the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL-500), or the Official Michigan English Language Assessment Battery (MELAB);
  • providing passing scores from a written professional licensing examination given in English;
  • providing passing scores from a proficiency examination taken to meet immigration or licensure requirements; e.g., Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates (ECFMG), Visa Qualifying Examination (VOE), or the Foreign Medical Graduate Examination in the Medical Sciences (FMGEMS);
  • providing passing scores from the General Education Development Test (GED) given for the GED Certificate; or
  • submitting proof of postsecondary study at a university or college that would be accepted toward meeting degree requirements. Such study should be in an area such as Humanities or English. Math or computer courses are not acceptable; neither are English as a Second Language courses acceptable in satisfying this requirement. An acceptable course will be credit-bearing, and worth three semester hours or the equivalent.

Updated, April 1996 Back to Office of Professions Homepage