Our website provides the applications for licensure and the instructions on how to apply for a license in New York. If you have questions about topics such as:
- The education requirements for licensure in social work
- Registering for the licensing examination or having a score transferred to New York
- Practice as a Licensed Master Social Worker (LMSW) or Licensed Clinical Social Worker (LCSW)
- Changing your name or address, registering to practice in New York, or
- Requesting the Department to send certification or verification of your New York license to another state
These Questions and Answers are offered as a matter of general guidelines and may not carry the force of law. For a comprehensive overview of the meaning and use of professional practice guidelines please review the document entitled “Memorandum on Professional Practice Guidelines” available on our website. You should also review the actual statute and regulations. Application forms and instructions are available on this site; please see the links on the left. NOTE: The Department cannot determine whether or not applicants have the necessary qualifications for licensure over the phone or through e-mail. We will carefully review your qualifications only after we receive your application, fee, and all necessary documentation directly from the education program. Review of your qualifications cannot begin until the Department has received your application, fee, and all necessary documentation directly from the education program.