The practice of dentistry or use of the title "dentist" within New York State requires licensure.
To be licensed as a dentist in New York State initially or through endorsement you must:
- be of good moral character;
- be at least 21 years of age;
- meet education requirements;
- meet examination requirements;
- meet experience requirements; and
- complete coursework or training in the identification and reporting of child abuse offered by a New York State approved provider.
You must file an application for licensure and the other forms indicated, along with the appropriate fee, to the Office of the Professions at the address specified on each form. It is your responsibility to follow up with anyone you have asked to send us material.
You should also read the general licensing information applicable for all professions.