Skip to main content
Welcome to the Office of the Professions’ newly redesigned website. Portions of this site may still be under development, so if you experience any issues or have any questions please submit a Website Feedback Form.
  • NYSED Homepage
  • Disclaimer
  • Contact Us
  • NYSED Employment
  • Board Members Only

Restricted Certificate to Administer & Monitor Local Infiltration Anesthesia & Nitrous Oxide Analgesia for Dental Hygienist

Frequently Asked Questions
Icon for the answer

Yes. A licensed dental hygienist must obtain a restricted certificate to administer and monitor local infiltration anesthesia and nitrous oxide analgesia in the practice of dental hygiene, under the personal supervision of a licensed dentist.

Icon for the answer

Dental hygienists who hold a local infiltration anesthesia/nitrous oxide certificate can administer and monitor local infiltration anesthesia or nitrous oxide analgesia based upon instructions provided by a licensed dentist who remains in the office where the services are being performed. The supervising dentist must personally authorize and prescribe the use of local infiltration anesthesia or nitrous oxide analgesia for the patient, and evaluate the condition of the patient after the dental hygienist has completed the procedure and before the patient leaves the office.

Icon for the answer

No. Certified dental hygienists may only administer local infiltration anesthesia, meaning local anesthetic solution deposited near the terminal nerve endings, in the area of prospective dental hygiene treatment

Icon for the answer

To become certified to administer and monitor local infiltration and nitrous oxide analgesia, a New York licensed dental hygienist must:

  • complete a course on administering and monitoring infiltration anesthesia and nitrous oxide analgesia at:
    • a New York dental or dental hygiene school, or
    • an institution with programs leading to licensure in dentistry and/or dental hygiene that are accredited by an acceptable accrediting body and meet the educational requirements prescribed in Commissioner's Regulations.

    Interested dental hygienists should contact the dental school or dental hygiene school of their choice to see if a certification course is available.

  • apply for certification through the State Education Department. You may access applications here or you may request them by calling 518-474-3817 ext. 320 or by e-mailing
Icon for the answer

The dental hygienist must become licensed to practice dental hygiene in New York State and apply for New York State anesthesia certification. The education completed previously would be reviewed by the State Education Department to determine whether or not it is equivalent to New York State's educational and training requirements for certification. If a dental hygienist's education and training is not found to be equivalent, he or she may be required to complete additional didactic coursework or clinical training before certification.

Additional information
Icon for the answer

For additional information, you may contact the State Board for Dentistry by calling 518-474-3817 ext. 550 or by e-mailing