The practice of Creative Arts Therapy and use of the titles "Creative Arts Therapist" and "Licensed Creative Arts Therapist" or any derivative thereof within New York State requires licensure as a Creative Arts Therapist, unless otherwise exempt under the law.
To be licensed as a Creative Arts Therapist in New York State you must:
- be of good moral character, as determined by the Department;
- be at least 21 years of age;
- meet education requirements;
- meet experience requirements;
- meet examination requirements; and
- complete coursework or training in the identification and reporting of child abuse offered by a New York State approved provider.
Submit an Application for Licensure (Form 1) and the other forms indicated, along with the appropriate fee for licensure and first registration, to the Office of the Professions at the address specified on each form. It is your responsibility to follow up with anyone you have asked to send us material.
The specific requirements for licensure are contained in Title 8, Article 163, Section 8404 of the New York State Education Law and Section 52.34 and Subpart 79-11 of the Regulations of the Commissioner of Education.
You should also read the general licensing information applicable for all professions.