How do I apply for an initial license and to take the ARE®? (US Degree that is NOT an NAAB accredited program or NOT a US 4-Year Pre-Professional Degree in Architecture)
- Read the general requirements, education, experience, and examination requirements if you are applying for an initial license in New York.
- Submit Form 1, New York’s Application for Licensure. Please indicate on your Form 1 that you are applying to take the ARE and for initial licensure in New York
- Pay the licensure and first registration fee of $377.00
- Once NCARB has verified your education, request to take the ARE® as a New York applicant within your NCARB Record
- Experience is required. The amount of experience is dependent upon the nature of your education. EITHER document experience within your NCARB Record OR send Form 4 to a supervisor(s) to verify your experience. Your supervisor MUST submit the Form 4 directly to the Department. The form WILL NOT be accepted if submitted by you.