How do I apply for an initial license and to take the ARE®? (NAAB accredited program or US 4-Year Pre-Professional Degree in Architecture)
- Read the general requirements, education, experience, and examination requirements if you are applying for an initial license in New York.
- Submit Online Form 1 - Application for Licensure. Please indicate on your Form 1 that you are applying to take the ARE and for initial licensure in New York
- Pay the licensure and first registration fee of $377.00
- If you have, at a minimum, completed the 3rd year of an NAAB-accredited Bachelor or Master of Architecture program if the only degree received, or the 1st year of an NAAB-accredited Master of Architecture program following receipt of an undergraduate degree, ask your college/university to send an official transcript to NCARB showing your completion of the 3rd or 1st year as appropriate. If you have graduated from a US pre-professional program in architecture, ask your college/university to send your official and complete transcript to NCARB.
- Once NCARB has verified your education, request to take the ARE® as a New York applicant within your NCARB Record