How do I apply for an initial license and to take the ARE® (Foreign Degree)?
- Read the general requirements, education, experience, and examination requirements if you are applying for an initial license in New York.
- Submit Form 1, New York’s Application for Licensure. Please indicate on your Form 1 that you are applying to take the ARE and for initial licensure in New York
- Pay the licensure and first registration fee of $377.00
- Send an email to email@example.com stating that you wish to take the ARE as a New York foreign-degreed applicant. The State Board for Architecture will send you an email that you must send on to NCARB, so that NCARB will allow you to request to take the ARE as a New York applicant within your NCARB Record.
- Request to take the ARE® as a New York applicant within your NCARB Record
- Send Form 2 to your foreign university for them to complete and send back to the Department with all required documentation (New York does not accept an EESA evaluation). One of our Bureau of Comparative Education evaluators will assign a value for the education.
- For those whose assigned education value is below 7 units, experience is required. The amount of experience is dependent upon the nature of the education. EITHER document experience within your NCARB Record OR send Form 4 to a supervisor(s) to verify your experience. Your supervisor MUST submit the Form 4 directly to the Department. The form WILL NOT be accepted if submitted by you.