Skip to main content
Welcome to the Office of the Professions’ newly redesigned website. Portions of this site may still be under development, so if you experience any issues or have any questions please submit a Website Feedback Form.
  • NYSED Homepage
  • Disclaimer
  • Contact Us
  • NYSED Employment
  • Board Members Only

New York State does not have direct reciprocity with any other US State or territory. However, licensure may be granted to applicants who hold the NCARB Certificate on the basis of fulfilment of requirements satisfactory to the State Board and accepted by the Department. Please note that New York doesn't accept NCARB's alternative paths to certification, including the education alternative, foreign architect path, mutual recognition agreements, and the discontinued broadly experienced architect/foreign architect pathways. See the Education, Experience and Examination sections of this website for detailed requirements. 

An architect licensed in a US or Canadian jurisdiction who has passed the ARE and holds the NCARB Certificate.